- Qualification Title: National Certificate: Professional Driving
- SAQA Qualification ID: 50285
- Minimum Credits: 122
- NQF Level: 3
The purpose of the qualification is to ensure competent professional driving competence in the road transport sector, thus improving earning capacity of professional drivers as well as transport sector professionalism and economic growth.
This qualification is run over 12 months.
- Learners will be assessed to determine their experience and prior learning knowledge. This will determine what skills will be RPLed and which will be gap trained.
- Mathematical Literacy at NQF Level 3.
- Communication competency at NQF Level 3.
- Medical certificate & eye test OR current PrDP licence .
- Unit Standard 123254 EC drivers licence
- Unit standard 123253 Equal to or below 16000 kg requires C1 drivers licence
- Unit standard 123253 Above 16000kg requires C drivers licence
- Unit standard 123257 Equal to or below 3500 kg requires B drivers licence
- Unit standard 123259 As per legislature requirements learners must be 25 years or older
The qualifying learner will achieve this qualification by complying with the following rules of combination for the accumulation of credits totalling 122:
- Core unit standards totalling 30 credits are compulsory.
- Fundamental unit standards totalling 36 credits are compulsory.
- Elective unit standards totalling a minimum of 56 credits, including at least one of the following:
- 123254: Operate a vehicle combination (20 units)
- 123253: Operate a rigid heavy vehicle (15 credits) gross vehicle mass above 3.5 tons
- 123257: Operate a rigid light vehicle (10 credits) gross vehicle mass below 3.5 tons
- Communicate in a variety of ways and interact with internal and external workplace role-players.
- Use mathematical conventions to solve personal problems and undertake workplace calculations for operational purposes.
- Understand and explain the composition of the supply chain in relation to its role in the transport industry.
- Apply the relevant health, safety, security and environment legislation, policies and practices in the transport industry.
- Demonstrate life-skills and entry-level workplace skills in the transport environment.